Monday, June 16, 2008
Mike's moment of terror...
So Mike had his first day as a resident today. Ok, it was really just an administrative day, a whole bunch of paper work, and some training. There was a drug test, tb test, but nothing unexpected until the "ishihara" color blind test! So if you didn't already know, Mike is color blind. So they pull out the book to test him and you can guess what's going through his mind. "I'm going to fail, I've made it through med. school only to fail a color blind test on my first day of Residency. 100 hour weeks during a pediatric rotation was nothing compared to this." So he couldn't read 4 out of the ten tests. You are supposed to see numbers in these blobs of color and he couldn't find them. So as a last ditch effort to help Mike pass this test, the examiner pulls out four colored ribbons, and Mike is able to identify their colors and passes the test as long as he promises to ask for help when reading any color coded tests/lab. I've been giving him a hard time about his disability for years, and now I feel as though maybe he has been pestered about it enough...maybe.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Congratulations to all of you for the many accomplishments you've achieved. Good luck on your grand adventure, and thank you for a wonderful blog, so we can keep track of you. You're in our thoughts, whether we keep in close touch or not. Seeing your pictures and hearing of your activities in Spokane bring back wonderful memories. We used to paddle regularly on the Little Spokane. Our house was just across the river---E. 10909 Boone Avenue, in Spokane Valley, in case you're ever in the neighborhood. We also loved driving the Palouse, and I'm sure you'll spend time in Couer d'alene (sp?) and Sandpoint (home of the skinheads, I think, but beautiful.) And the Bloomsday Run is an event you'll talk about.
The people in Spokane are wonderful. There's one thing I noticed, but only after we came home....the first day I went to church here, I couldn't believe how many blond haired, blue-eyed children there were. I realized only then how I'd gotten used to seeing only dark haired, brown eyed people. You guys will stand out in a crowd.
Good luck on residency. We'll keep in touch.
Love,
Aunt Marie
Shwan's mom on Sunday was asking me if he could be a doctor and be colored blind. I am glad that they let him...
Post a Comment