Saturday, December 20, 2008

Snow bound fun...

So we were supposed to get snow tires on our new car that does not have four wheel drive, on Thursday. That is when the big storm hit. We haven't used the cars since Wednesday. I think I'll see if they will even start today, after I unbury them in the freezing cold. Yes, the high today is minus 2.

I'm glad we were able to walk to the grocery store on Thursday and Mike didn't have to work until Friday. He's been sledding to work and a coworker gave him a ride home last night. We live on a big hill, kind of like the Aves in SLC. So we don't have snow tires and really can't get out to get them put on our car. I think I may try getting out today, but I'm terrified of getting stuck with the girls by myself. If I could get off our residential road, I think I would be alright. But to get through the 2 feet of snow with so little clearance...I guess we traded the Subaru in too soon.

Our sweet neighbor was supposed to go to Seattle today for the big game, but doesn't want to chance not getting a plane ticket back tonight to get to work. So she is staying home and generously offered her truck so I could make it to a party tonight. I would feel even worse if I got stuck in her car, than mine, but somehow it's still tempting.

I really don't mind being home bound. It's been fun to play in the snow and think of things to keep us busy. We made paper bag reindeer, I've been working on slippers and have one for each of the girls done (Hannah's still needs to be felted), and I finally successfully made yogurt. It's really not that difficult in theory, but I've tried at least 3 times before and never had it work. You have to heat the milk to kill off all the extraneous bacteria that would compete with the yogurt cultures. Then you let it cool, so it doesn't kill the yogurt cultures but is still warm, and then incubate it for 8 hours. And yes it finally worked. My good friend Danella is a pro, she used to work in a lab where she grew bacteria. She even helped me make yogurt once and it still didn't work. I think I finally kept it warm enough while it was incubating. I also worked really hard to make sure everything was sterile as I used it (like thermometers, whisks, and measuring spoons.)


So because it's been so difficult for me to make, you get a picture of it and our other activities.

2 comments:

Sarah E. said...

Have you ever tried a yogurt maker? They are actually pretty cheap and soooooooo easy to use. All you need is milk and a plain yogurt start. Mine you just plug it in for 8 hours and then you have yummy home made yogurt ready to be flavored or eaten plain. (What a fun info-mercial, don't you think!)

Unknown said...

Merry Christmas you guys - I enjoy reading your blog - thanks for keeping it up! Looks like you're lovin' Spokanne - despite all that snow! Congrats on the new baby!