...Canning beets.
I really didn't want to start, but as is usually the case with canning Mike was ready. The problem is, the only time to can is when everyone is in bed. That is usually my time. I can read a book, knit, exercise or whatever tickles my fancy. So when Mike said he wanted to can beets tonight I thought, "why?" They aren't like peaches, tomatoes, grapes and the rest. They don't spoil if you don't can them right away. Can't we just let them sit in the ground a little longer? But as usual, he said he would do it on his own and I can't help feeling guilty, and end up helping. I do love seeing the finished product. Canning jars look so pretty when full of delicious food. It also gives us time to just sit and chat as we can. Tonight, as often becomes the case when canning, we thought about what it would take to really store everything you would need to eat all winter. What an exhausting task. We are lucky we just get to do them because they taste good, are fresher, and we know what is in them. And I guess it makes us feel good.
1 comment:
I have some beets that I have no idea what to do with. Maybe I need to come take canning lessons!
Post a Comment