Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Rim to Rim!


A cold sunrise on the north rim.



Starting out I was grateful for my hat and gloves. 


The trail from the north rim has a gentle slope and made for an easy jog.  It didn't take long before we were shedding layers.

The autumn leaves were brilliant against the red rock.


Fellow travelers started calling us
Team Bumblebee!



All the snow and rain from the kaibab plateau slowly filters down until it reaches a harder less permeable rock layer and then travels along that layer.
The water then erupts from the dry canyon wall a mighty stream that provided us water for the entire journey, and also provides for the 3 million annual visitors to the canyon. 



My dad woke up early to drive the first car to the south rim. We had a brief reunion a few miles up from phantom ranch. He then ran to the top of the north rim and shuttled the second car over. We thought of a couple other ways to make things work, but I think he enjoyed the challenge.


Team Bumblebee refueling with PB bagels and cliff bars at phantom ranch. 



Crossing the mighty Colorado!

It was amazing to look back and see how far we'd come.  Watching the sunset at the south rim made the pilgrimage complete.  I felt truly blessed.






 We reunited with my Dad for a fabulous dinner at El Tovar.  After dinner, the milky way arched effortlessly over the wide canyon as we hobbled to our cabins and slept well. 

1 comment:

Dallin said...

I like that hike. I did it when I was 12 or 13, so I was scared to go over that bridge, but I still made it.