Sunday, August 14, 2011

Queen of the Mountain

Clara is an excellent hiker and since last year she has wanted to climb Mount Olympus.  I can't blame her.  It dominates the skyline from our house and the face is very imposing.  It's not the tallest mountain but it's very rugged.  With just two weekends until school starts we decided to go for it.
Clara walked the whole way.  I told her an epic story about Marco Polo and his faithful camel Boxer on the hike up.  On the way down from the peak, I had Boxer learn kung fu and help defeat threatening bandits.  I love magic realism.  The story kind of fit the hike.  A long journey away from home, and then a long journey back home.



We enjoyed some peaches on the top and Clara signed us into the registry.  I was impressed she drew two summits on the mountain.  A great capstone for summer vacation.  Now onto first grade.  



2 comments:

Shawn and Ali said...

I am impressed with the little hiker that she is and with the stories you tell.

Anonymous said...

Go Clara!! I love her picture and handwriting!
Your family is the best!
I think you should change your blog title to "Climb every mountain!"