Friday, March 15, 2013
Story Time
Any one know what this plant is? I don't either, therefore I would not eat it. Although Hannah had different thoughts the other day when she was at recess. She and her friend decided to eat some, but I'm getting ahead of myself.
I get a call from the office 30 min. before school ends. Hannah is in the office very upset and has a stomachache.
Me: "Do you need me to come get her?"
Office: " I think so."
Arrggg. I only dropped her off less than two hours ago and she was fine. I've got two kids sound asleep. Then I started to worry. If it came on this quickly maybe she has something really wrong. I call a good friend to sit with the sleeping kids and hurry to the school. The office lady lets me know she doesn't have a fever, but says her stomach really hurts.
On the drive home she tells me through hysterical tears,
"Mom, I know I'm not going to die."
Me: "What makes you think that? Your going to be fine. Does your tummy hurt that bad?"
Hannah: "yes"
me: "Did you eat something funny?"
Hannah: "no"
I get home, thank my friend who says she will pick up Clara in a few minutes with her kids. Then call Mike. I've poked all over her stomach making sure it isn't appendicitis or anything like that, he recommends feeling her back too, kidney area. No major pains. All the while she is crying a ton. If I distract her I can get her to calm down a bit. Of course this is a night Mike has late meetings. Clara gets home and Hannah is being distracted by a show and then perks up and wants to go to her singing class. I tell her she can't because she came home sick. It's almost as though nothing has happened?
Through the afternoon we chat about school and things as usual. She tells me her friend ate some little blue flowers at recess that were growing out of the grass. So I ask,
"Did you eat any little blue flowers?"
Hannah: "No"
Me: "Are you sure? If I asked your friend would she say you ate little blue flowers?"
Hannah: "No, but a girl at recess said she had a sister that ate some of those little blue flowers and she died the next day."
Me: "I'm sure your friend will be fine."
Nope I didn't put two and two together. Right before bed she starts crying again. What is going on?
Me: "Hannah what's wrong?"
Hannah: "How do you know I'm not going to die?"
Me: "What makes you think you are going to die?"
Hannah: (through sobs) "I ate a little blue flower."
Me: (aha!) "I'm sure one little blue flower won't kill you?" (if it were going to, things would have been a lot worse right now)
Hannah: "I ate more than one...I ate a lot!"
I spent a while talking to her and reassuring her that she would be ok. It wasn't until after many talks about the Holy Ghost and saying a few prayers, and promises to check on her that she calmed down and went to sleep. She even wanted to sleep with us so we could make sure she was alive all night long.
We've since had talks about not eating things that Mom and Dad haven't said are ok. We eat a lot of mountain blue bells hiking and sometimes sorrel and things. Then we had a talk about lying and how important it would be to tell the truth. We explained, if this had been something poisonous we couldn't have helped her unless she told us that she had eaten something funny. Hannah is our child most prone to worry, and this time she definitely gave herself something to worry about. I talked with her friend's mom that also ate the flowers to see if she had a stomachache too, and she laughed. Nope, but they had had many conversations about not eating strange things. Her daughter wasn't even fazed by the classmate's story about "her sister," where as Hannah had worried herself into a serious stomachache.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Oh dear.
We read this and laughed, although we know it wasn't funny at the time. You handled it like a pro.
Post a Comment