Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Cloth Diapers...



So for those of you who didn't know, we've been doing cloth diapers with Hannah. Initially our reasoning was nasty diaper rash we couldn't get rid of. Well, the diapers didn't totally solve this, but we ended up really liking the cost benefit of them and we felt a little better about ourselves environmentally. Less diapers in the landfill...etc. We now have a nice little stash to use on our little boy. It will probably be a couple of weeks until he grows into them, and I want to wait until the umbilical cord has healed anyway.

If your thinking, "gross" as almost everyone does initially it's really not that bad. Wet ones you just thow in the pail and wash every couple of days and poopy ones you dump in the toilet (which you are apparently supposed to do with disposables anyway), if it doesn't just dump we have a handy little sprayer attached to our toilet that will assist with this. We even found these diapers that are one size (so they fit from 8-30 lbs.) and they are all in one (which means: no pins or diaper covers, they work just like a disposable with velcro).

Anyway, I'm really not trying to convince anyone or justify why I use them, other than we recently found another benefit. Hannah who will be 2 at the end of April is basically potty trained! Yahoo! Occassional accidents happen and she still wears a diaper at night, but wakes up dry 2 out of 3 nights. Maybe it isn't just the cloth diapers (having an older sister who still doesn't close the bathroom door is sure to give you ideas). I'm sure she will probably regress a bit when the baby come and we move, but hey it's a start. So here's to cloth!

4 comments:

Stapley Clan said...

Okay Heidi, I am so jealous. That is great the Hannah is doing so well. I will just envy you from afar.

Shay said...

That is definitely enticing. What about leakage issues? Lance seems sold on the idea, especially when we were buying diapers for two kids.

Heidi said...

These new diapers really don't leak much at all. My kids are heavy wetters at night sometimes and Hannah has leaked in cloth about as often as Clara did in disposables. You can put inserts (extra padding) into them to make them more aborsbant, but it's not an issue every night, so I usually don't.

Alex said...

Hey Heidi, is there anyway you can email me your mailing address?! My email is alex.thomas@live.com.

Thanks!

Alex & Andy Thomas