Short Version: Mike recently made me promise to never take the temperature of our baby again.
Long Version: Luke had a bad night on Monday, he was up screaming half the night. Which he never does. Tuesday when Mike was back at work, I thought he felt warm besides having a slightly congested nose. I took his temperature and it was 99.1. So I called the Dr. to ask if this was something I could treat at home, or if I needed to make an appointment. They had me come in to the evening clinic that day. Luke's temperature there was 100.9 so they wanted to send us to the ER. Apparently they don't treat fevers in newborns very lightly.
Mike had an idea that this is what they would recommend as well as what would happen if we did go into the ER. So we debated, was it worth the trip in, or was this just a minor issue we could watch at home and see. As the most indecisive parents ever, we debated and debated. Was it worth risking him having something serious, like meningitis and missing it if we didn't go in? Or should we go in and let him have the full work up (meaning blood tests, urine sample, lumbar puncture etc.) and ending up having the same cold Hannah has had for a week?
After much deliberation, prayer and a blessing we decided we would rather be safe and have him checked out. The result was a long evening in the ER, with lots of discomfort for Luke, and two nights in the hospital, also more discomfort for Luke.
He is doing great now. We came home today and he hasn't had a fever since we were in the Dr. office. (not even in the ER, but they wanted to check him anyway) After all the test results came back, they found out he has...a cold (para influenza 3 to be exact) He is a little congested and the pediatrician thought this was probably just be the beginning of his virus. She thought he will probably have more congestion and possibly more fever. We are supposed to follow up with Luke's pediatrician tomorrow and if he has a hard time breathing or has a fever over 100 again we are supposed to take him back to the hospital. But I don't know how I will be able to test the last criteria because Mike made me promise not to ever take his temperature again, because we could have avoided all this if I hadn't been so paranoid in the first place.
Overall, we are grateful he is doing well (really not acting sick at all, besides a little congestion). We are really grateful it wasn't any more serious. We are grateful for good friends who will stay with our children until 2 in the morning and for Mike's program that is flexible enough to allow him to have two and half days off to go the the Dr. and ER with me, and stay with the girls all day. And even though it was tough and slow at times, I did enjoy some one on one time with our little man, and we are mostly grateful he is healthy (except for a cold).
6 comments:
I'm glad your little guy is doing well. Ryan also doesn't allow me to take the kids temperature, he says I'm paranoid. Will you be in Utah at the end of July, first part of August? We'd love to visit with y'all.
I am glad that everything is ok.
Sheesh! What an ordeal! Like you say though-- probably the best outcome possible.
Poor kiddo and poor Mama!! Mandy was keeping me up to date on everything and I was so so glad to find out it was just a cold!! We'll miss you guys, happy moving:) If you need any help please let me know. The girls can come play with Eli and Katelynn if you need so packing time:)
I am so glad he's doing okay. Trust me, Bryce and I did the same thing with Cole. He was up to 101, we called, they said come in, we took his temp again and it was back to 99. So far, we've been able to avoid the hospital stay, but it is so scary! You guys were good to be safe. Fevers in newborns are too scary.
I hope everything is going good with you. You haven't posted in a while. I am having Heidi withdrawls. Gotta see those cute kids soon!
Post a Comment