Monday, October 5, 2009

Pride and Prejudice

So I know Mike will say I'm silly for posting this, I am curious. What is everyone's favorite version of this movie? Obviously, I really like the book. But I don't think a movie has to portray everything the book did, nor can it. I had two offers to lend me the A&E version of the movie in a week or so. It seemed a little overdue, and I finally saw it. Maybe it was the pressure of having read about it in Austinland (which I quite enjoyed as well as most of Shannon Hale's other books).

Mike would sit down with me when I began it each evening (it took about 3 nights to finish it) and would chuckle a little and then say that it was dragging and leave to do some "studying" (usually means going to bed early). I can't say that I fell in love with Colin Firth like I've heard so many others say. He had his true Darcy moments and a few smiles which were endearing, but I must say I think I prefer the version with Keira Knightley, it's short and simple, and still has the endearing moments, even if some of the scenes are shorter. But it also has less pensive character and illusionary scenes.

I did enjoy the long version overall though. I am tempted to watch it again before I sent it back to Vermont (thanks again Betsy). I do love a good show when I knit, and since I've seen the other version about a million times and even the less accurately based Mormon version a fare few, I'm up for a change, and who knows, maybe my opinion will change after seeing it more than once. For now I'm asking you your opinion.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

"Aaaahhh...Mr. Darcy is a beautiful man." I first watched this movie with some friends many years ago and their five year old daughter said that - too cute! Yes, you must watch this movie again. Back home (before children and real life responsibilities), we had an annual "P&P Day" where we'd veg all day and watch it with friends. The long looks, the jumping in the pond...Mr. Darcy really is a beautiful man :-) In my opinion, the movie is better than the book. And I like the A&E version much better. The newer version was well done, but not near enough time to develop the love story. Have you heard of the Elizabeth Gaskell movies? BBC made them and they are Austenesque - I discovered them a few months ago and knew I had to add them to my collection.

Sarah E. said...

I have to vote for the Kiera Knightley version. For one, Jonathon would sit through it with me, and I thought it had a quicker tempo to it. I don't know if I would have "gotten it" as much if I didn't love the book so much. Though, for the record, the BBC version is about as close to word for word as you can get. Maybe it is because of that that I feel it runs more like a play than a movie. I do like it though.

In the Kiera Knightly version, I thought that every one was cast perfectly. From Lizzy and Jane to Mr. Collins and Darcy. Lady De Bourgh was brilliant too.

Hmm... Maybe I ought to get the movie back out.

I will agree that I like Shannon Hales too. Very unique and engaging books!

Shawn and Ali said...

I only like the Kiera Knightley version. All the other (including the book) have never appealed to me.

Shay said...

I have loved the 6 hour A&E version since high school and it is my absolute favorite. I think since it is so true to the book (Which I love), it will always be my favorite. Maybe if you had seen it before the modern version your opinion of it may be different. I do like that if you get a hankering for some P&P you can satiate it in only a couple of hours with the new version.

Danielle said...

I've only seen the long version once, and don't really remember it that well, so I'm a little biased. I absolutely love the more current version - especially because of the music. The piano is spectacular. Plus, I think Mr. Darcy in the new one is all kinds of good lookin'.

Britt said...

Obviously I grew up with too many brothers and your brother won't watch girly movies. I haven't seen any of them.