We went to Great Falls Montana a couple of weeks ago. Yes, back when I wouldn't take the kids to the Aquarium because of germs, I took Charlotte on her first airplane ride and spent time touring a hospital. The people were very friendly and eager to show us what a great little community they had.
The hospital was newly remodeled. They even set me up an interview with the principal of a local elementary school. We ate at great restaurants and met with all sorts of people. People Mike would be working with, people with similar interests, and even a nice LDS family. We rode with a Realtor for over 2 hours. I think we saw every inch of Great Falls.
It's a great little town and close knit community. You could be very involved in a lot of different things there. It had all the benefits of a small town, but Helena is only an hour away if you need the "big city". A major perk is Glacier National Park being only 2 hours away. The river is also gorgeous.
We just got back from Puyallup, Washington. They did things a little differently there, I wasn't involved in the schedule as much. I don't think I ever saw the hospital. The first day Charlotte and I explored downtown Tacoma. The size made me think of here a bit. They have some great museums and light rail running through the middle of town. Our hotel was right on the water. It had gorgeous views.
Mike did interviews and hospital tours. We had a fabulous dinner, but on our own. The next day was completely open. We explored Point Defiance on Puget Sound ate at a fun "antique sandwich" shop. We saw some Chihuly's. We didn't make it to the glass museum though, maybe another time.
There is a position here that Mike is interviewing for, but I'm not in on all that interview stuff because we live here. And that's the interview trail so far. It feels far from over, but it's a start. I don't know if I'm going on anymore trips. Mike's parents have been awesome with our kids while we've been gone, but it's hard to leave them.


3 comments:
Come on up to Wyoming! We are only a couple hours from SLC; here in Green River (13 miles to the hospital in Rock Springs) we have the most FANTASTIC seminary program. Yeah, we are remote, isolated, frontier (that's the step beyond rural)--but I raised my kids here, and look what Sarah (Jonathon's wife) turned out like! Let me know, and I'll set you up with a recruiter!
Now remember, you have to find a place that also has a nice lib ed college that Ryan can teach at...
Good luck with everything!
I can't wait to hear where you'll end up!
Post a Comment