Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Missing...

My maternal grandmother passed away this weekend.  She has been missing my grandpa for a long time now and I know they will rejoice in the reunion.  Those of us here will be missing her.  Excited for the day we are reunited.

She was always loved visitors and always had a treat for us when we visited.  Her brownies were legendary and cookies divine.  I remember when we were at her house for dinner one night Mike had finished a bowl of soup and she took his bowl, thinking she was clearing it, he let her, but she returned with another full bowl.  No one would ever be hungry in her house.

Even with her house full of kids and then grandkids it was always neat and tidy.  She had eight kids, truly amazing.  My mom will tell stories of coming home late at night to find her mom scrubbing the kitchen floor while she waited up.

I remember my Grandma reading me lots of stories and loving her smell as I nestled into her lap, and taking bubble baths in her tub that smelled of palmolive dish soap (it does make great bubble baths by the way). She let me take silverware to the sandbox to dig, paint with water on her back porch, and eat licorice until my tummy hurt.  I remember playing hide and seek in her closet and falling asleep.  And never wanting to leave her house.

She is the last of my grandparents to leave us.  I am so grateful my kids have had the chance to get to know some of their great-grandparents.  My first grandpa passed away when Clara was just a couple years old followed by another grandpa a couple years later and then my paternal grandmother just earlier this year.  I haven't typically blogged at their passing but this time I'm feeling the need to express.  Maybe it's because she was the last of my grandparents, maybe it's because I feel very immersed in my family and their raising as I know she was in hers, maybe it's because I'm unable to be at her viewing and funeral with family and missing them as we remember her and share stories and memories of her.  Whatever the reason here is the result.  Missing you grandma!

1 comment:

Danielle said...

So sorry to hear of your loss. No matter the circumstances, it's always sad to lose a loved one. Even though I knew it was my Grandma Barber's time to go, I still miss her. I kept waiting for her to call me on my birthday. :) Thinking of you and your family.